Monday, January 27, 2014

6 things it's OK to be picky about.


Like I said in my last post, it's been a crazy January. But I think having the rug pulled out from under you really makes you evaluate life and what you truly want out of it. While I've been working out how to measure my past and future successes, I've realized there are some things that I'm absolutely not willing to compromise on. A lot of these have been "hard limits" for a while, but some are newly discovered... High expectations? Maybe. Older and wiser? Hopefully.

1. Chocolate. 
I'd rather not eat it at all than eat "bad" chocolate. Obviously this is dependent on the palate of the consumer, but don't even offer me milk or white chocolate; milk's too sweet and white is just an impostor. I'm certainly not going to waste the calories on something I don't really want. I'd rather hold out for something deliciously dark, preferably 78% or higher. I'll only crumble for the occasional Reese's, but actually these are even better.

2. Teeth.
Okay, this isn't as superficial as it sounds, and I'm fully aware that a little crookedness never hurt anyone. But there's something to be said about a nice set of teeth. In an era where we text and tweet and post and email, I'm still a fan of plain old verbal communication, ideally in person. I also tend to look at people's mouths when they talk (does anyone else feel like uninterrupted eye contact can get a little weird?) You can determine a lot through someone's face and mouth, so take care of it and flash that beautiful smile. A lot.

3. Friends.
Of course we can be picky, they're the family that we choose. The best ones will drive us crazy, challenge us, be brutally honest and love us unconditionally. I just spent the weekend in Killington with my very best friend from high school (in all honestly she is the only high school friend that I'm still close with, despite the fact that we've lived hundreds if not thousands of miles away from each other for the last seven years). It was amazing. Love her.



4. Career. 
You have to love what you do. Period. It's what you'll spend the majority of your life doing. If you don't love it, make a change. Get happy at your job, because it'll affect everything else.

"There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love; there's only scarcity of resolve to make it happen."
Wayne Dyer

5. Myself.
I don't need to justify being selfish to anyone, including myself. Now I'm not saying that this should be a permanent, long-term thing. What I am saying is that it's okay to focus on you and shut everyone out for a little while. You're the only one who knows what you really need, whether it be six hours a week at the gym or a tropical vacation. Figure it out and do it. Don't worry about what everyone else thinks. They should be selfish too.

6. Risk.
Take it. What's the worst thing that could possibly happen? You embarrass yourself? Who cares? You die? Probably not, but if so you probably died doing something awesome. Putting yourself out there is how great things happen, in relationships, work and all things life. Go all out.

"Vulnerability is the birthplace of innovation, creativity and change."
Brene Brown


So here's to surprises that lead to life evaluation and a little personal reflection. What about you? What are you unwilling to compromise on?

No comments:

Post a Comment