One of my favorite parts about winter is the fact that I can buy so many sparkly things and everyone just assumes I'm being festive. Little do they know, I'd have Christmas lights and glitzy ornaments up year around if I could... although I do think it all looks better with a bit of snow.
Anyway, now that I'm back home, I've been helping my mom come up with decor and displays for her flower shop.
(Side note: she's owned the shop for twenty six years and is both an amazing business owner and mom. She's incredible.)
I wanted to put something together that was clean but interesting and could last through January until we get ready for Valentine's Day. The flower shop is tiny and slanted, which makes setting anything up somewhat of a magic act. I decided to take advantage of an antique dining room table that's currently in the center of the showroom floor. It has tons of character and is the first thing you see when you walk through the door, so I wanted it to be WOW!
ONE.
>> It doesn't have to be perfect. <<
Don't worry about perfect measurements and perfect matches. Be sure that things coordinate, but have variety with colors, shapes, sizes and textures.
Even though I chose to go monotone, I still have a lot of diversity with the sparkle textures.
I also chose a soft, intricately woven tablecloth to contrast the glitter and glam of many of the other pieces.
Also, everything doesn't have to be measured out and symmetrical. Other than the actual place settings, be casual and cluster pieces on the center of the table, then scatter smaller items away like a starburst.
TWO.
>> Alternate more and less expensive elements. <<
Can you tell which flowers on my table are artificial? Or which vase was my grandmother's from Italy and which was picked up at HomeGoods for $2.99?
Didn't think so!
When you mix price points but stick with your theme, everything compliments each other. Also, the best pieces are the ones found around your home, because they're free!
Flower tip: if you don't feel like you have fantastic flower-arranging skills, group the same flower together in one vase - this will help the arrangement look unified with little work!
THREE.
>> White plates are not boring. <<
White plates are the perfect tablescape feature. They help draw attention to special place setting details like handmade name cards, unique party favors or accent plates and bowls.
You can also use them for practically any occasion, so this should be one of your "free" found at hope supplies (see #2).
FOUR.
>> Let there be light. <<
I placed a lot of traditional candles of varying heights and sizes on my tablescape, but flameless candles are a less risky alternative (it's ok if they're knocked over) and also saves on cleanup - no wax dripping everywhere!
This time of year it's also fun to include Christmas lights - I put a small strand in a crystal bowl and then tucked a pillar candle in the middle of the nest.
Sometimes overhead lights can be too bright; lights on the table create a warmer and more intimate space.
FIVE.
>> This is fun! <<
Don't stress if you can't find that perfect accent plate or your DIY party favor was a bust. Sometimes having something go wrong is a blessing in disguise because you find something even better.
When I was putting this tablescape together, I had no idea what to use for place card holders, and my first attempt with discarded wine corks was a bust. I ended up finding a few pinecones in one of our holiday decoration boxes that had yet to be unpacked. I discovered that place cards fit perfectly in the top prongs, so I touched them with a little silver spray paint and dusted them with glitter. They ended up being one of my favorite pieces on the table!
You can always head over to Google or Pinterest - the photo inspiration is endless. But if ever you're in doubt, just go with your gut. This should be a reflection of your home and style, you've got this!
And of course, the most important part of any party is the people you're surrounded by, so enjoy them!
xo Emily





No comments:
Post a Comment