Monday, June 02, 2014

from a customer's sales training: notes via quotes.


Sometimes, I have tough work days; really tough, question your brain and existence days. Other times (pretty often) I have oh-my-god-my-job-is-the-most-fun days. Example: last week I was invited to a customer's sales training retreat at Jay Peak Resort. This was exciting for several reasons:

1. I'm not in sales. I'm in marketing.
Ok, to be fair, the argument can be made that everyone is in sales. And there has to be synergy between sales and marketing for them to both be as effective as possible. But this event is hosted by one of our customers for their sales staff, and a small group of outside sales vendors are allowed to attend as well... but this year, plus one. Me!

2. It was held at Jay Peak Resort.
I had never been, and now I'm dying to go back. The rooms, food, and activities were incredible. There is plenty to do there whether the sun is shining or snow is falling: unwind at the spa, play golf, go hiking, play at the indoor water park, and of course ski or board in the winter.

3. They're a great company. 
I love working with them on projects, and they have the whole Made in Vermont thing going for them, not just with words but with action. They're small in size but huge in success.

This year, their keynote speaker was Garrison Wynn, author of The Real Truth About Success (we received a copy during the retreat, and I just started reading it). He spoke with us for two days, sharing his insight, posing tough questions, and getting us out of our comfort zone.

As I started taking notes, I realized that I was writing down a lot of things I already knew, but in a way that I hadn't really heard them before.

Simple is the new smart.
This is basically a different version of one of my favorite quotes:
"Everything should be as simple as possible, but not simpler." -Albert Einstein 
But really, everything is leaning towards less clutter: website design, logos and packaging, advertising campaigns. And when we get rid of the clutter, messaging and communication works better. Period.

Having value is not as valuable as explaining it well.
This was one of my favorites. I mean damn. It really doesn't matter if you're great at something if no one knows it. This is just as important for your personal brand as it is for your work. If you can successfully market yourself, everything is going to benefit, both personally and professionally.

If you don't stand up for the change, you lose your influence.
There is no point in making a change if you're not all in. New sales strategy? Don't revert to the old way because it's "easier". It didn't work. Out with the old. Not enforcing a rule or change, especially one that you create, is a recipe for disaster. Its the fastest way to lose the respect of your team, making every future change an opportunity for friction instead of progress.

The only way to know what someone values is to ask questions.
Find out what's important to them. Ask about what is working for them. Ask about their issues or concerns. Ask!

Low price = high risk. High price = low risk.
The age-old excuse to poor sales is that the price is too high. It's not. If the price was unrealistically high, the company wouldn't be in business. Get behind whatever it is you're selling and know what it brings to the table: value-add services. Most importantly, know your competition, and know what you have that they don't.

The foundation of true agreement is disagreement.
Having your opinion challenged is the best way to really get behind it. It forces you to dive deeper and learn more about both sides of the situation. Shutting down and not being receptive to another point of view guarantees that your knowledge and success will be limited at best.

Gratitude attracts better opportunities.
Be appreciative of whatever situation you're in. Even if it's difficult, focus on the fact that it's pushing you to be a smarter, stronger person. If it's great, don't coast. Work just as hard because the second you stop struggling, you stop improving.

Your best people will leave. The people who suck are with you for life.
This isn't always true, but it is definitely the case for the majority. In order to keep those "best", get to know them. How do they like to be challenged and recognized? This depends on the individual - their background, their age, their personality. In order to keep great employees, they way you interact with them absolutely can't be one size fits all.

Your beliefs create your experiences.
If you believe something to be so, the chances of that believe becoming reality are sky high. We can create our own success or failure. I've learned this lesson so many times the hard way: difficult relationships - letting nerves overcome me before presentations - but recently I've realized that if I flip my perspective, I can do pretty amazing things.

A goal is a dream with deadlines. 
Bam. Write it down. Set a date. Make a plan. Also write down the things that are blocking you from accomplishing that goal. Be honest - your blocks might surprise you. Bottom line: have a to-do list every. single. day.

Sometimes, all you need is to hear the same thing in a different way for it to really hit home, or maybe just need to hear it a bunch (the Rule of Seven?) All of this is so relevant to every job and even every personal situation. I think the most important thing that I took away from the two days is this:

You can only control yourself. 
Keep it simple. Be able to explain your value. Set the example. Ask questions. Get behind what you're selling. Disagree. Be thankful. Appreciate your team. Believe you can. Make a list.

Now go do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment