Pasta salad season is upon us!
It's one of the most simple, delicious dishes to bring to a cook out or to pack for a day at the beach, and the pasta-bilites are endless! See what I did there? Sorry, had to.
It's one of the most simple, delicious dishes to bring to a cook out or to pack for a day at the beach, and the pasta-bilites are endless! See what I did there? Sorry, had to.
I found my go-to pasta salad recipe at my sister's house, and have tweaked it to make it my own over time. The best part about it is that you can use favorite veggies that you have on hand, and measurements are open to interpretation. There's only one rule: the more color, the better!
INGREDIENTS
yellow bell pepper
red onion
black olives, pitted
green beans
cherry tomatoes
mozzarella pearls
pepperoni
italian salad dressing
METHOD
ONE.
Cook pasta. Drain and let stand for 5 minutes.
TWO.
Toss in 1/4 cup italian dressing, allowing pasta to cool to room
temperature.
THREE.
Chop bell pepper, onion and green beans into similar-sized pieces.
Slice black olives, halve/quarter cherry tomatoes and cube pepperoni into
similar sizes pieces as the other veggies. Toss all in with pasta. Add
mozzarella pearls to pasta. Mix well! Add more dressing to taste.
So simple, right?! I intentionally left out amounts of each
ingredient - the great thing about this pasta salad is that you can choose to
go heavy on some ingredients, or do an equal amount of all for a well balanced
mix.
Don't want to play the guessing game? I usually use about 6 handfuls of dry
pasta, 3/4 bell pepper, 1/4 onion, 1 handful green beans, 1 small can black
olives, 1/2 pint tomatoes, 1/2 container mozzarella pearls, and 1 handful cubed
pepperoni.
I've also picked up a few tricks...
Making it the night before really allows the pasta to take on the flavor of the dressing, but...
Making it the night before really allows the pasta to take on the flavor of the dressing, but...
To keep the tomatoes from getting mushy, don't add them until a
couple hours before you're ready to serve.
With the dressing, less is more. You can always add more, or serve
the salad with aside of dressing so people can add their own.
It's all about the noodle shape.
I'm serious. Pick something that will hold all of the dressing's flavor goodness in its nooks and crannies.
It's all about the noodle shape.
I'm serious. Pick something that will hold all of the dressing's flavor goodness in its nooks and crannies.
And because you can never have
too much of a good thing, here are a few more pasta salad recipes I found that I'm dying to
try.
Zucchini and Oriechetta Pasta Salad with Beans Such a yummy combination of ingredients, and the lemon seems like it would really brighten up all of the flavors.
Cilantro-Lime Pasta Salad Avocado in a pasta salad? Yes please.
Tuna Pasta Salad with Dill & Peas I'm not typically a fan of mayo, but I want to give this a try. I might cut down on the mayo and add some fancy mustard.
Pasta Salad with Feta, Tomato, Kalamata Olives and Sweet Basil Vinaigrette Not only does the vinaigrette sound to-die-for, but I love that there's fresh basil in the mix.
Got any awesome pasta salad recipes or secrets?
Got any awesome pasta salad recipes or secrets?





No comments:
Post a Comment