Wednesday, February 19, 2014

fit scoop: sites and apps.



Winter can get a little... dull. Especially when there's feet of snow and workouts transition to indoor... i.e. boring. But wait!

In addition to finding some killer indoor workouts in the BTV area this winter (more to come on those), I've also stumbled across these fantastic sites and apps to give you a little mid-winter boost. Bonus: they're awesome all year long.


Greatist
I find myself clicking on practically every single one of their tweets, which lands me on awesome content every time. Their posts are pretty and packed with useful info... and lots are backed up with references and... SCIENCE!)

Here are a few of my favs:

The Right Drink for Every Situation (no, not alcohol).
Bust Out of a Workout Rut
5 Satisfying, Healthier Bacon Snacks (healthy bacon?!)
Why Dudes Should Do Yoga

Speaking of yoga...


Reflexion Yoga
Ok, this is such a good idea. I found their site last year and loved it - especially because I travel a ton for work. It's perfect for early-morning or late-night hotel room workouts, because let's be honest... a lot of those hotel fitness rooms are sub-par.
Check out their free classes  like Yoga for Morning Energy to get hooked on the yoga and the instructors - they do a great job of explaining through the class to keep you focused while you're flowing.
Oh, and their blog is awesome too!


oh she glows
Ok, so I'm not vegan, or even vegetarian (have been in the past), but it doesn't matter. When I reached out to a fit friend for her favorite health sites and was sent here, I immediately started making a grocery list. Not only are her photos pin and drool-worthy, but the recipes are great for those with allergies or diet restrictions and yummy enough for those without.

I've been told that the following are outstanding. I think the dessert is a little more my speed, but I mean, don't knock it until you try it.

Cauli-power Fettuccine Alfredo
Peanut Butter Balls


RunKeeper
I love this app. Thinking about it is also making me long for outdoor runs (I'm a wimp and try to avoid running outdoors if it's less than 50 degrees). You can import a training program or music playlist, track a ton of activities (not just running), and then view all of your stats in pretty graphs and interactive infographics. Also, it reminds you to workout if you're slacking. I haven't quite decided if that's a pro or con.


OmFinder
Once again, something handy for traveling: find a yoga studio anywhere near you. Now I know you're already doing it in your hotel room, but if you're craving a little human interaction, here's your key. Now if only it was this easy to find everything you want when you're traveling to unfamiliar places...


What are your favorite sites and apps for heath and fitness?



Also, I just want to be clear that I'm a huge fan of these feets of snow we're getting. My newbie snowboarding skills are greatly improving!

xo Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment