Saturday, January 11, 2014

5 tips for snowboarding success: beginner edition.



After moving back to Vermont just over a year ago, and a scarring experience in high school with skiing, I decided I was going to conquer (ahem survive) a winter sport. My conquest of choice was snowboarding.

I'm now into my second season and even though I still consider myself a beginner - getting off the lift gives me mild panic attacks and I still fall, but less frequently - I'm making progress.


ONE.
>> Take a lesson. Or a bunch of lessons. << 
You'll learn all the really important things. Like how to stop. And turn. And to look where you want to go. And to bend your knees. See, I was paying attention.

The Snow Sport University at Smugglers' Notch is the best and the staff is great! programs are for
youth and adults, skiers and boarders, novice to expert.  The best way to learn is to do!

TWO.
 >> Pack a snack. <<
The last thing you want is to be on the lift or on your way down the mountain and be overwhelmed with a hungry tummy. Pack some nuts or a protein bar - that's why you have all those handy pockets! You can pick up something at the store, or make your own!

My favorite snack to pack is Luna Protein bars - they're pretty delicious and filling.
Plus their tiny size makes them perfect to stash in a coat pocket. 


THREE.
 >> It does matter what you wear. <<
I'm not just saying this because it's fun to look cute. Ok, I'm mostly saying it because of that. But wearing the right gear is going to make your experience so much better and will keep you out on the mountain longer, mastering those tricks... or turns. Turning is good. Even if you're not going to invest in all the gear right away (which I wouldn't recommend anyway, as your needs will change as you advance) a couple key pieces are worth the investment: mittens/gloves, goggles and a helmet.

These are my mittens and goggles, which I love. Mittens: 686 Dolce Insulated Mitten

Goggles: Smith Optics Prophecy Goggle.


FOUR.
>> Apres. <<
An excuse to wear some of your awesome gear a bit longer! Ok but really, socializing over warming food and drink is a blast. You can stop into a grille on the mountain, or hit a cafe on your way home. It's the perfect way to warm up and enjoy the company of your fellow riders and skiers.    

Smugglers' Notch Morse Mountain Grille Raspberry Lemonade. Yum!


FIVE.
>> Take care. <<
As a twenty-something beginner, I was not as fearless and daring as those four-year-olds whizzing by me. The first day out left me lying in bed the next morning, more sore than I've been in a long time. But it's a good sore, I promise! The best thing you can do to avoid major injury is to learn how to fall, i.e. relax and go with it. Then hop back up. You're fine, keep going! Once you get home, a little muscle relief never hurt anyone!

I came across this brand while visiting a friend in Colorado. It's amazing! Not the Same Boarder's Muscle Rub.




No comments:

Post a Comment